Sunday, February 17, 2013

Day o' Sun






Friday was a b e a utiful day that had sunshine up the wazoo and it was amazing! The Rushers had her blanket off for turnout for the first time in a millenium, which I'm sure she appreciated. She also got a scrub down on her neck and shoulders trying to eradicate that persistent bugger I like to call Steve. Okay it's really rain rot, I just decided to name it Steve right now. Not sure why. Then she got to graze out in the nice open grass field while I waited for her to dry, which really only took a few minutes because only her clipped hair was wet, but I stretched it out because the sun felt heavenly and she was being really adorable snuffling around in the grass.

Friday also marks the day we upped the jumps to 3', and she rose to the challenge amazingly! I trust this horse with my life, she has never shown even the slightest inclination of refusing a jump- bowling straight through it, maybe, destroying it, definitely an option, but refusing? Not a chance. Her worst habit is wiggling on the approach and diving one way or another directly afterwards, which I need to be more vigilant about, but luckily that's a problem easily fixed and one I will gladly take over what we had a few weeks ago, which was trying to buck me off every time we cantered.

Saturday we went back to flat work and focused on our flying changes, which I think really started to click into place by the end of the ride. She has wonderful simple changes- point her down a diagonal at the canter, ask her to trot in the middle, and she'll pop right up into the opposite lead no questions asked (even if you don't want her to which happens frequently.. but that's a whole 'nother can of worms). Flying changes have been more difficult to implement, as she's been really sticky with her hind end through them. This has mostly been my fault, because I've been so focused on changing the bend that I've forgotten the most important element of a change- being collected. Once I was reminded that hey, maybe sitting her on her butt will make it easier for her to get a clean change, things started clicking into place and she put in a good three or four consistently at the end of the ride. I'm hoping the next week will really build on that and soon we'll have automatic ones!


No comments:

Post a Comment