Sunday, November 6, 2011

News & Mud

I got to the barn late late late yesterday because I was catching up on homework and laundry. So much laundry. I still have a few loads left to do, after doing laundry pretty much all day yesterday. I blame my hoarding tendencies- apparently I have a thing for towels. Who knew? Luckily I still had time to ride before the Halloween Horse Show began.

May I just say, I absolutely love this horse. She is amazing and so, so capable. I really think my theory of low-key hacks is correct, because she was completely calm and responsive yesterday after not being actually worked for three days, excluding a 10 minute bareback jaunt Friday. It was probably the best ride I've had on her, to date. She was very relaxed and willing at the canter to the right, something she NEVER offers, so I did a lot of canter work. To the left, as usual, she was tense and rushed but towards the end I got some nice stretches where she slowed down a little.

Afterwards I talked to BO (aka her owner) about the lease situation. Since Sami is leasing Status again starting November (aka now) I was out a horse to lease. So.. now I am the proud leaser of Rush, and can honestly say YES when people ask me if she's mine. Usually I go into a long awkward story about how she's someone else's but I'm the only one that rides her etc etc and they get very confused.

It rained buckets overnight so the ring was a mess today. I know it would be weird to have an indoor ring in SoCal but it would be so much easier to keep things consistent if we at least had a covered arena. The ring doesn't have very good footing so it takes forever to dry out, meaning the horses are stuck in their 12x12 stalls until the footing improves.

I hopped on bareback in the blanket again today and Rush & I wandered around the barn and ring for a while. There was a rather large puddle at the bottom of the ring; I decided to be daring and walked her through it several times. I think she enjoyed it; after the initial head down-loud snorting phase she tramped through it happily and even doubled around to have another go without me steering.  



No comments:

Post a Comment