Friday, March 23, 2012

Mystery Lameness

We had a ton of rain last weekend, but the ring dried out pretty quickly and was usable within a day or so. My sister came back into town for a few days and wanted to see all the progress Rush and I have made since winter break, so I hopped on on Monday. The footing in the ring was kind of hard; the dirt was pretty packed down from being poured on and the ring hadn't been dragged yet. It wasn't slushy or wet, though (except for a large puddle that Rush loved to stand in- while warming up at the walk she kept taking me over to it and then parking herself in it and refusing to move) so we went through the paces and did some jumping.

Come Tuesday, sister gets on to evaluate Rush's weirdness to the left and see if it's a problem with my riding or it Rush. Cue hind end lameness.. ugh. She's been so bombproof that I really had my fingers crossed for her to bypass the lameness issues all the horses I ride seem to have, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I mean, she's climbed THROUGH a fence before and got off with only minor scrapes. True story- I parked her up to a 2'6 jump once so that I could adjust my stirrups. While I had the reins looped through my elbow, one stirrup, and was leaning down to the right she decided that she was going to channel her inner dog and jump from a stand still. She ended up trashing the picket, but I miraculously stayed on (don't ask me how, I have no idea)

The BO thinks it's because of her hock sore, which she's had forever and I can't seem to make disappear, but I disagree. Because I think that's a ridiculous diagnosis. If it was infected that would be a different story- but it's just a small, occasionally scabby occasionally open wound. I'm giving her a couple days of stall rest, then I'm going to pull her out tomorrow and evaluate.

No comments:

Post a Comment